Facebook is giving away Rs. 50 worth of mobile talk time (minutes) to new mobile users in India. This pilot scheme was launched last week and offers the give away as part of a referral program. Many have suggested that this may lead to a flood of fake Facebook profiles – however, it seems that there are sufficient preventive measures in place. Instead, this is a clear play by Facebook to increase its penetration of the nearly 1 billion mobile user population in India and comes on the back of earlier offers of free Facebook access. Will it work? This is a long term play – don’t expect a bump in share price due to this in the short term.
- Scheme is only for new users and not for existing people on Facebook and is valid for registrations through mobile only.
- New user has to registers himself/herself to Facebook through mobile using the URL – m.facebook.com/tt.
- After registration he/she has to provide his mobile number on the Facebook Talktime page.
- Once you sign up and confirm your account, a talktime of Rs. 50 will be credited to his/her account within 3 days.
- Facebook Starts Offering Free Talktime With New Mobile Sign-Ups In India (medianama.com)
- Facebook offers Rs. 50 for Mobile signups (trak.in)
- Facebook Referral Program: Bring new users to Facebook and get Rs.50 talktime (mobigyaan.com)