With the launch of Google Music, the war for digital content is very much on. Amazon and Google present two formidable competitors to Apple’s iTunes hegemony. Key features of Google Music are:
- Cloud-based auto syncing music library
- Sharing of purchased music on Google+
- Exclusive content
- Free upload of existing music library (to a maximum of 20,000 songs) to the cloud
A feature by feature comparison with iTunes and Amazon Music offers insight into the two critical value drivers behind Google Music – deep integration with Google+ (thus leveraging the social aspects of music consumption) and an almost unlimited capacity to transfer existing music libraries (thus reducing lock-in costs and encouraging users of other platforms to shift).
Read more at Official Google Blog: Google Music is open for business.
- Google Music: Everything You Need to Know (mashable.com)
- The Google’s Music Store Is Here (Plus Free Streaming for All!) [Google Music] (gizmodo.com)